According to me…..

Posts tagged ‘activists’

For Immediate Release – Today


For Immediate Release
August 30th, 2010

OCAP Demands: ‘Drop the Charges, Restore the Special
Diet and Raise the Rates!’

What: COURT DATE FOR OCAP ACTIVISTS FACING CHARGES
FROM LIBERAL PARTY H.Q
When:  Monday, August 30, 9:00 AM
Where: Outside College Park Court (College and Yonge)

Nine of the eleven OCAP members and supporters charged after entering the Liberal Party HQ last month, will be in Court today.  They are facing charges of mischief and forcible entry over a brief office occupation. Two other people, facing trespass summonses over the same incident, have already had a court appearance but will be present on Monday.

The court appearance is intended as one to set a date and, possibly, to provide disclosure around the charges.  However, such heavy-handed charges, coming in the wake of the G20, are seen as a continuation of the process of criminalizing dissent. OCAP is calling on the Attorney General to drop all July 21st and G20 related charges and will be gathering in front of the Court at 9.00 AM to deliver this message publicly.

It is expected that any day now the Liberal Government will announce the sham ‘replacement’ program it will use to justify the end of the Special Diet Allowance. The cut of the Special Diet is the denial of vital income to hundreds of thousands of people on Social Assistance in Ontario. The Attorney General upholds criminal charges against people for walking into an office and putting a banner out of a window, while the Government has taken a measure that will make people homeless, wreck their health and shorten their lives.

“They will not be able to use the courts to silence or intimidate us as we build the challenge to this vicious social cutback” says OCAP Organizer, John Clarke.

Contact: Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
Cell: 416-826-4796
Office: 416-925-6939
http://www.ocap.ca

Food program may be put on diet, critics say…


On March 4, the Toronto Sun had this article written by Antonella Artuso, Queen’s Park Bureau Chief, about the special diet and the budget.

“Poverty activists fear the Ontario government is prepared to gut a special diet program for people on social assistance.

The government has already cut the program back significantly through stealth measures — getting welfare staff to challenge medical diagnoses and reject application forms, said John Clarke, of the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty.”

To read more, click here for the *article* and here for the *hansard*.

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: